www.hpiparanormal.com
Paranormal Hotline: (916) 203-7503 - 4 Advice & Investigations
Email: pauld5606@comcast.net

YOU TUBE VIDEO OF LUANNE SLOAN:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZfLG5E5Mic&feature=youtu.be

Date: July 13, 2013
Time: 10am
Location of Interview: Coffee Garden

Question: LuAnne, you have an incredible life. You are truly an adventurer. First off, tell me of all the places you have been to. I admire the fact, that you are a world traveler. Also, you are not afraid to travel by yourself! You have been to a lot of places; please name them all, I want to know!

Answer: I’ve gone skiing in Germany where I also visited Berlin before the wall came down which was surreal. You learn about “The Wall” in school. But actually seeing it in person had quite an impact. Imagine someone building a wall through Washington, DC and then setting up patrols that would shoot and kill you if you tried to escape. It was just bizarre and sad.
I toured the Okavango Delta in Botswana, Africa on a horseback riding safari followed by Zimbabwe and Zambia to see the amazing Victoria Falls. I rode through Northern Ireland by horseback, riding from farmhouse to farmhouse. I’ve sailed the British Virgin Islands, went scuba diving in the Bahamas, salsa dancing in Puerto Rico, traveled all over Central America (except Panama) salsa dancing, kayaking, snorkeling with sharks! And of course horseback riding. I’ve been to Colombia where I visited the famous walled city of Cartegena, the not so famous and beautiful white city of Popayan, went salsa dancing in Cali, Columbia and of course the spent a few days in the exciting Capital city of Bogata! I spent a month in Ecuador trying to learn Spanish, working with kids, visiting the Galapagos Islands and horseback riding. And of course I’ve been to our neighbors to the north and south, Canada and Mexico. My most recent trip was to England where I went to a polo match and horseback riding at Windsor Park, salsa danced in France and ate a lot of paella in Spain. I love to travel – I just wish I had more time (and money) – other places I want to see include Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, New Zealand, more of Africa, Bhutan, Cuba – there are just so many places I want to experience!

Question: Besides traveling around the world, you like to horseback ride. Can you elaborate about this? I heard you did some horseback riding in Ireland and other places. I want to know about those horseback riding adventures, please tell!

Answer: Horses were my first passion. As a child, my friends and I would rent horses and ride for hours. At that time, the stables would let us take the horses out on our own and allow us to ride bareback! Can you believe that?! I don’t think there is any place in the States today where you could do that. Anyway, I’ve always loved riding, but have never owned a horse (commitment issues). So, I’ve incorporated horseback riding into many of my travels. As I’ve mentioned above, I did a riding safari in Africa which was incredible. You really get a sense of the vulnerability of the herding animals because basically you become one of them. You are riding alongside zebra, giraffe, and antelope and when they start running, the horses get in that herd mentality and start running along with them. You are constantly swivel-heading trying to find out what the herds are running from! It was a very special and beautiful experience.
Riding through Ireland was very different. This was an unguided tour where they give you a map and you ride from farmhouse to farmhouse. I talked a couple of friends who didn’t ride into taking lessons for a couple of months and doing this ride with me. Looking back it wasn’t the best idea, but they did great and we all had a blast. The farmhouses had food and pasture for the horses, but we were responsible for taking care of the horses after riding and tacking up the next day. It was always fun to walk into the little pubs in the little towns in the evening and hang out with the locals. I’ve also done a lot of riding in Central and South America. My favorite story would be in Nicaragua, Isle de Ometepe, there wasn’t a nearby horseback riding concession so I walked into one of the stores and asked in my bad Spanish if they knew of anyone who would rent me a horse for an hour or so. The woman said ‘one moment’ and walked outside returning a few minutes later. About five minutes past and these two street urchins showed up with a paso fino and made a deal with me – about four dollars/hour and the horse was mine! I hopped on and took off through town finding a country road to trot down. On the return I bought some carrots for the horse but he wasn’t interested in them. Oh well!
Another beautiful place I’ve ridden is in Vilcababa, Ecuador. I stayed there for about two weeks riding every day and trying to learn Spanish.

Question: My father was flying crop dusters at the age of 14 in Lehigh, Oklahoma and my inspiration for taking lessons to fly a Cessna and a helicopter was my father. I just wanted to know if I could do it. Of course, I never was brave enough to land the Cessna…LOL! Now, you were attracted to flying and actually have your pilot’s license. Can you tell me what inspired you to learn how to fly?

Answer: I’ve always been intrigued by flying and airplanes. I was born and raised in Orlando, FL and our house under the flight path for at that time McCoy Jetport (now Orlando International) so there was frequently large planes flying overhead. And of course there was Cape Canaveral and Kennedy Space Center where I watched many Apollo and space shuttle launches to inspire me to ‘slip the surly bonds of earth’. When I was in college, my boyfriend and another good friend of mine did get their private pilot’s license and we would fly to get seafood on the coast or do other trips. At that time we were poor college kids but flying was also A LOT cheaper back then. We had fun. In my early twenties, living in DC with my husband (now ex), I went to ground school. But life and time and money just got in the way. Finally, in my 40’s, no kids, and a decent career, I decided to do it! I saved up the money I needed so I could get through the course non-stop. It took me about four months to get my private pilot’s license.

Question: Before we get more into your adventures, I want to know some more personal things about you. Your family life, schools you attended, I heard you were in ROTC, is that correct? Also, I want to know your favorite movies, TV shows and books you have enjoyed reading.

Answer: My family life was …. Uneventful! I’m the youngest of three kids having a sister that is 8 years older than me and a brother who is 10 years older. So, I didn’t have the normal sibling rivalry. I was pretty much adored by my brother and sister. I was fortunate to have a stable family life, no divorces, not really much drama. I’ll have to blame any character flaws on something else;-) Sometimes I do wonder if I was adopted – I was the only one in my family that was so active – I played basketball, ran track, cross country, was obsessed with racquetball for a while, went water skiing and horseback riding. No one else in my family did that! I attended the University of Central Florida and yes, it is true; I actually spent three days in the Air Force ROTC because I wanted to become an Air Force pilot. The recruiter was at least honest with me about my chances. At that time women could not flight combat and so there were few slots for us. He said “LuAnne, if you were a guy, you would be a shoe-in. However, as a girl, you need a 4.0 in a field like nuclear engineering to get selected to fly”. I knew that wasn’t me. I’m smart, but not that kind of smart! One of my favorite movies is The Matrix. I love the scene where Neo is offered a choice to take the red pill that would release him from the fabricated reality of the Matrix or the blue pill that would allow him to remain in blissful ignorance. This resonates with me because we all have points in our life where something significant happens that gives us pause to examine ourselves and our lives. At this point we have the choice to take a look at ourselves to evaluate history, patterns and the filters we have been using to lead our lives and make decisions or to go on living the way we have been and making the same mistakes. In effect, the universe is giving us the choice to take the red pill of self-examination and knowledge and the opportunity to wake up to your truths or to the blue pill of ignorance. And, like in the movie, the truth you find may actually be more difficult to deal with, but at least you are in a more honest place with yourself and can hopefully move forward to make better decisions and become a better person. Other favorites would be Blade Runner, Ghandi, Life is Beautiful, Seabiscuit, Phar Lap. I also watch a lot of documentaries – Religious, Ethos, Vegucated, Forks over Knives, Chasing Ice, etc. Probably my favorite TV show of all time is Star Trek (Original Series). I was very young when it came out and at the time thought it was just a fun science fiction TV show. Much later I appreciated it for the moral, social and political statements it made. So many books I’ve read and loved but two stand out as I’ve read them over and over: Dune by Frank Herbert and The Road Less Travelled by Scott Peck. Right now I’m reading Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver. I hate Zombies but for some reason love to watch Zombie shows – Walking Dead, 28 Days Later most recently World War Z. You didn’t ask about favorite singers but I need to give a shout out to Jimmy Buffett who has definitely influenced much of my outlook on life.

Question; Oh my god, you have something in common with my sister Sharon. My sister is a certified scuba diver and so are you. Can you elaborate on this, what got you into scuba diving?

Answer: I originally started out as a biology major and wanted to go into marine biology. Also, being a Pisces, I love the ocean. SPECIAL NOTE: My sister Sharon is a Pisces…hmmmmm. So, learning to scuba dive was a given outcome. In college I learned to scuba dive and my boyfriend and I and started a scuba club. We would coordinate club trips to the Florida Keys each year! One of my favorite memories is diving in a colorful reef in the Keys and the boat had an underwater sound system. They played Jimmy Buffett for us. Now that’s true surround sound!

Question: You are also a White Water Kayaker, tell me more?

Answer: After my divorce in my mid-twenties, I decided to reinvent myself as ‘outdoor adventure girl’ and a new boyfriend introduced me to this amazing sport. The boyfriend is long gone, but up until just a few years ago it was a passion, obsession really, that was the reason I moved to Sacramento, California, a city I had never even visited! California is one of the best States in the country for white water. The sport has landed me in some incredible places otherwise virtually inaccessible. It is a truly unique sport, especially when you get to the advance levels. I have a lot of ‘chatter’ constantly going on in my head and it is the only thing that has ever been able to get my mind ‘still’. In a complicated rapid you have to focus in order to stay on your line and get through it safely. I definitely challenged me physically, mentally and emotionally like nothing else I’ve ever done. After over 20 years, I don’t kayak as much as I use to, but I cherish the adventures and friends I made during my long kayaking history. And I am forever grateful to that boyfriend who originally introduced me to this beautiful sport!

Question: Wait a minute…sailing too? Geesh Luanne, is there anything you don’t do, go ahead and tell me about that.

Answer: Well, I don’t know how to play golf! But yes, my ex-husband and I learned to sail in the British Virgin Islands. Afterwards, I wanted to sell everything, buy a boat, and sail around the world. My husband kept us ‘grounded’, which was probably a good thing. I got my sailing fix by joining the Pentagon Sailing Club and sailing around the Chesapeake Bay with other people who owned boats. I also crewed for someone who raced boats for a little while!

Question: You told me something about your attraction to Colorado Springs, I want to know more about that. What other city and states did you live at?

Answer: In 1994 I moved to Colorado Springs for a year. I lived for the first month in a hotel waiting for an apartment to open up and recall the distinct feeling of ‘being home’ the first night I was there. After living in pricy Washington DC, I found a great (cheaper) apartment with a view of Pikes Peak. I bought a 4 Runner right before I moved out there which became my trusty adventure companion. Alas, I ended up moving back to Washington DC and passed up a chance to return to Colorado in order to move to California. As much as I loved Colorado, for a Florida girl it was a just really cold most of the year. Really – I’m was mountain biking with a friend in May and commented that I was so happy winter was over. He said “we could still get a snow storm” and sure enough we had a major storm the next weekend! At the end of May! I have a good friend that lives in Denver and I go back to visit her and occasionally we hike one of the 14ers. When I’m in the Rockies, my soul seems so content. I also spent a summer in Biloxi, Mississippi. Great oysters. I think it might be the hottest and most humid place in the US.

Question: What brought you to California?

Answer: The whitewater!

Question: You even were an HPI Scout and went on a couple of paranormal investigations, what did you think about that?

Answer: The same thing Mulder (X-Files) says – “I want to believe”. I went hoping to experience the paranormal but unfortunately nothing happened! I think I just scare away the ghosts!

Question: I heard you have a passion for Salsa dancing? I heard you won some kind of street competition, is that true or just a rumor?

Answer: Totally true. A few years after moving to Sacramento, I took up Salsa dancing and became seriously obsessed. Like I was out at every club that had salsa dancing in Sacramento every week. Five nights a week. And when I traveled, I would have to find the local salsa club and get my fix (I still try and do this when I travel – it’s an easy way to meet fun people!). I’m not kidding, it was an addition and I became q pretty good dancer! A few years ago I was dating a Latino who was also a salsa dancer. We went to a Latin street fair in San Francisco and some radio station was hosting a dance contest. So we entered. The judging was done by the crowd by clapping the loudest for their favorites. The crowd seemed to like our performance and we won!

Question: You and I, have many things in common, like horseback riding, I used to horseback ride in Fort Huachuca, Arizona and the Sanchez Adobe Ranch off Highway #1 towards Big Sur with my ex-girlfriend Raquel Nunez. So we have that in common. You are a world traveler, so am I. You got your pilots license, I didn’t..sigh. But, one of the things I really admire about you is your heroism in the animal world, you are an animal advocate. I am also an animal advocate and have worked with Greenpeace. Tell me about your animal advocacy!

Answer: Wow, we do have a lot in common! Throughout my life, I’ve always looked for ways to ‘give back’. Since I love animals, I’ve volunteered at animal shelters, fostered dogs, and am currently taming two feral kittens! I’ve recently discovered a great organization called Wings of Rescue that allows me to mix my current flying passion with animal advocacy. I use my plane to fly to Southern California where the shelters are overwhelmed with unwanted dogs and cats. We take ones that are adoptable but whose time is up and transport them to Oregon, Washington and Canada shelters where they place them in good homes. My plane is small so I do short ‘feeder’ legs to a hub airport where they are loaded on to larger planes that take them north. Check them out on http://www.wingsofrescue.org/Site/Wings_of_Rescue.html. They also have a Facebook page and a great YouTube video!

Question: I heard you were a Baptist Sunday School Teacher and an Ordained Minister, pray tell! No pun intended.

Answer: Yes, I was raised Southern Baptist and tried to be a ‘good’ person and taught Sunday School to high school kids in my early 20’s. One day I was teaching the book of Job. And had one of those ‘ah ha’ moments. In reinterpreting the story, I discovered the God of the Old Testament that really is a self-centered control freak. I mean, really, what kind of God would make a bet with Satan about how loyal his follower is, then allow Satan full authority to ‘test’ Job’s faithfulness. Upon further contemplation, other examples came to mind, like when he demanded Abraham sacrifice his son Isaac. Really? What kind of God does that? Not to digress too much but then I started thinking about all the problems in the world caused by religion (Please read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins). For me, I don’t need a God or religious authority to tell me right from wrong. I think there is a collective consciousness that ties us all together. And I think God lives within us and is manifested by how we treat ourselves and others. There are universal truths that I pull from Paganism, Buddhism the teachings of Jesus all mixed with a pinch of Jimmy Buffett that I incorporate into my life. Yes, I am an ordained minister. I was ordained through the Universal Life Church.

Question: Wow! You are truly an incredible woman! Now to the fun questions. If you had 6 dinner guests, 3 historical and 3 fictional, who would they be and why?

Answer: The Dali Lama and Ghandi – Amazing people I want to emulate! Beryl Markham – OK, she grew up in Africa riding horses, was a friend of Karen Blixon (Out of Africa) and learned to fly from Denys Finch Hatton (Karen and then Beryl’s lover) and became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic from East to West. I want to hear her story in person!
Bill Clinton – A great orator! Trevon Martin – I’d like to hear his side of the story. Fictional? Neo from the Matrix and maybe Roger Rabbit.

Question: If you were stuck on a desert island, what 3 things would you bring with you and why?

Answer: Dark Chocolate Covered Dog Food – I figure there is plenty of seafood and coconuts so I would need something to supplement the diet. I read somewhere that dog food has all the nutrients you need. And I love dark chocolate which would make the dog food palatable. Premium Tequila or Rum and Limes – Need to make sure I don’t get scurvy!
Sunscreen

Question: How can your readers contact you?

Answer: I have a travel blog that has some of my travel adventures documented. Leave a message for me there and I’ll get back to you! http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/LuAnne/.
You can also reach me via my YouTube videos. Search for ‘lsloan01 Lake Tahoe Flume Trail’ or ‘lsloan01 Sykes Hot Springs’ and leave me a comment!
Question: What words of wisdom do you have for your readers?
Some of the principles I live by:
- Know yourself – ‘The unexamined life is not worth living’.(Socrates)
- Respect yourself, respect others, respect nature
- Seek first to understand
- You may not be able to control circumstances or other people but how you react is entirely up to you
And last words of advice:
- Fill your life with positive people who support you and keep you laughing!
- Always Wear Sunscreen!
Thank you, Paul, for giving me this opportunity and forum to express myself and my thoughts. It feels a little self-indulgent.
Readers, If you made it this far, I thank you for taking time to read all this! If there is one last thought I can leave you with it is to take responsibility for choices you have made and make future choices wisely (it helps to know yourself!) We only get one chance at this precious life (no I don’t believe in reincarnation!). Make the most out of it!

Paul Dale Roberts, HPI Esoteric Detective
aka The Demon Warrior
Hegelianism Paranormal Intelligence (International)
http://www.hpiparanormal.com/
MAXAMMYSTERIES - ALL HPI VIDEOS
http://www.youtube.com/user/maxammysteries
http://www.knighttalkradio.blogspot.com/ for HPI Stories!
Managed by Staci Butler, HPI Twitter Account Manager
http://alldestiny.com/index.php/paul-dale-roberts/
My Bio Link at Ceri Clark's All Destiny Magazine!
Email: pauld5606@comcast.net
Paranormal Cellular Hotline: For Investigation or Advice: 916 203 7503
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Luanne Sloan, Adventurer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Gateway :: Paranormal Groups :: H.P.I. Haunted and Paranormal Investigations-
Jump to: